Background History of Department of Fisheries
1. Departement of Fisheries is organized with the objectives of the conservation of fisheries resources, food securityof sustainable fish consumption and contribution of aquaculture technology for the people.
2. As the fisheries project section, Department of Fisheries was established with 6 officers and 70 staffs under Land and Rural Development Cooperation since June, 1954. On the date of 24th March 1961, Department of Fisheries was extended as Fisheries Division under Land and Rural Development Cooperation leading by one director including 9 officers and 183 staffs.
3. After emerging of new administrative system, Fisheries Division was transformed as Department of Fisheries leading by Director General with 9 officers and 183 staffs since 15th March 1972. In November 1984, temporary task force for the plan of action on revenue of fishing gear licenses was temporarily organized with the number of 216 staffs within 1984-85 fiscal year and 1986-87 fiscal year. Since April, 1985, the total numbers of 89 staffs from aquarium staffs under People’s Workforce Rehabilitation Association were transferred to Department of Fisheries under the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Affair.
4. Under the State Law and Restoration Council, the Department of Fisheries was allowed to extend his organization structure with 103 officers and 1251 staffs in line with the increasing duties and responsibilities at 31st January 1990. Since April, 1990, total numbers of 129 employees from resources survey section, aquaculture research and production section and Institute of fishing technology from Myanmar Fisheries Enterprise were transferred to Department of Fisheries under the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries.
5. Then, two officers and 82 staffs from Fisheries Institute of Agriculture Industry and Vocational Education Department under Ministry of Education were transferred into the workforces of Department of Fisheries under Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries on 1st January 1997.
6. The organization structure of the Department of Fisheries was again reorganized with 191 officers and 1638 staffs in April, 2002. In August 2012, the Department of Fisheries was extended with the 196 officers and 1704 staffs introduced with the new organization structure of Nay Pyi Taw Council Area (5 officers and 66 staffs). Since May, 2014, the recent organization structure of the Department of Fisheries was restructured again with 365 officers and 2104 staffs.
Organizational Structure of Department of Fisheries
7. Department of Fisheries is organized by the leading of Director General, Deputy Director General and 19 Directors with 2469 total employees of365 officers and 2104 staffs.
8. Department of Fisheries is operating the duties and responsibilities applying the existing laws and regulations of Myanmar Marine Fisheries Law, Law Relating to Fishing Rights of Foreign Fishing Vessels, Fresh Water Fisheries Law and Aquaculture Law with 15 sub-sections under four different divisions namely Administrative and Finance Division, Aquaculture Division, Fisheries Revenue and Supervision Section and Research and Development Division.